Tuesday 13 November 2012

How Not To Do Orange Segment Rainbow Jelly



This is what was meant to have been served up at Darling Daughters Care Bear Rainbow 3rd Birthday party;





Looks pretty cool what could go wrong?





Oh yeah I could get involved! Ignoramous moi!



To see how to do it properly click here.



How to avoid being a dick (sorry for naughty word but best descrption) like me and making a hash of it!
  • Expect waste. Leftover jelly, dudd orange shells, off cuts from the finished product.
  • Give yourself plenty of time to let the jellies set. If I just did the original plan the jelly would have set better and I would have been able to do each colour one after the other and just chuck out the spare jelly. I do not like food waste so I decided (way too late) to do a big bowl of rainbow jelly to use up the spare jelly. This meant that I had to do one colour at a time allowing each one to set before doing the next one. I was setting an alarm to make the next colour so I would finish all the colours in time for the party. I actually had to get up in the middle of the night (see told you dick) to fit them all in.
  • Use an electric device to hollow out the oranges like I did but don't go crazy and hollow out too much. I was trying to get all the orange out so I was left with a white shell to get best background for the coloured jelly to show up on (so anal, so very, very anal). I ended up with a hole in the first one. If I looked at the picture of the good ones closer I would have seen that they have some orange left in.
  • Buy extra oranges so you can make a few mistakes.
  • DON'T use the freezer to speed up setting of jelly. I googled it and found mixed reviews. I can tell you it doesn't work!
  • Use a sharp knife when cutting the jelly filled orange, obvious I know but just saying!
  • Make sure you have an appropriate dish to serve. I had to use two (of the dishes my friend lent me) dishes. I actually ditched one of the colours because it was such a mess. Just as well really as I didn't have the room!
I probably set my expectations a bit high! Especially as I had never even made jelly before let alone practiced the dish and was really underprepared! Regardless my guests were impressed. Hopefully genuinley impressed!

I originally got the idea from this awesome facebook page Mama's Style, check it out, some cool ideas.


2 comments:

  1. HYSTERICAL! Fab idea though! Linking up from the hop!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I wasn't laughing at the time! But now yep, I was so unprepared but had stupid expectations given my lack of prep...silly mummy!

      Delete